In Studying Under the Masters, Jeanne Oliver chose the very prolific Vincent Van Gogh as her master. She studied his paintings, painted like him and then created her own art in his style. The upcoming Living Studio Amsterdam workshop is a dream trip for Jeanne as she takes us to the Van Gogh Museum where there are over 200 pieces of his art.
Some interesting facts about Van Gogh:
- Vincent shot himself in a wheatfield in Auvers, France but did not die until 2 days later at the age of 37.
- Vincent’s brother Theo died six months after Vincent and is buried next to him in Auvers, France.
- Vincent’s brother’s wife collected Vincent’s paintings and letters after his death and dedicated herself to getting his work the recognition it deserved.
- In a short period of ten years Van Gogh created 900 paintings.
- Vincent only sold one painting during his lifetime and only became famous after his death.
- Vincent van Gogh did not cut off his ear. He only cut off a small portion of his ear lobe
- In the self-portrait shown right, Van Gogh was looking in a mirror so the bandage is actually not on the correct ear.
- Van Gogh created his most famous work The Starry Night while staying in an asylum in Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France.
- Vincent’s earliest career aspiration was to be a pastor in the Dutch Reformed Church like his father.
- Van Gogh wrote over 800 letters in his lifetime, the majority written to his brother and closest friend Theo.
Van Gogh first painted portraits using peasants as his models, but soon found that he could not afford even them so he became his own model, painting over 30 self-portraits. Here is a short video.
In this Living Studio workshop, we will meander in the countryside on a leisurely bike trip, float along the canals, visit Rembrandt’s House, visit flea markets, and have many opportunities to create art with Jeanne in both a studio and as we explore this beautiful city.
There are only a few spots left for this May 10-17, 2016 workshop. More details are here.
Use the contact form below if you would like more information or would like to join us.