Integrative Portraits with Katie Kendrick and Orly Avineri
Two very special women who create magic together are teaming up for an integrative portraits art-journaling workshop on Bainbridge Island, July 21-24, 2016. I spent a week with Orly Avineri and Katie Kendrick in Bandon, OR earlier this year and witnessed how these two creatives love one another and create the most beautiful journal pages. Quietly, deliberately and effortlessly, the magic happens.
They will share their process in a 3-day workshop organized by Bellissima Art Escapes in the most beautiful setting, the 20-acre Wacky Nut Farm surrounded by a community garden, trails, riding arenas and the most beautiful horse barns filled with gentle beasts that call out to my soul. THIS TRIP IS FULL, a waitlist has been started.
The art studio is bright, filled with art created by other artists who have taught there and by Stella, who manages the farm.
Here's what Katie and Orly wrote about their workshop: Two artists. Two approaches. One intention: To look deeply within as we work and play in our journals, to practice being open, curious, and receptive to our images, our thoughts, and our feelings as they arise, and to work for integration in these expressions as we construct/de-construct, reveal and conceal portraits of our discoveries.
We’ll be approaching our journals from a place rooted in the present moment: real life circumstances and our perceptions of them, a living current of feelings that can change moment to moment, and a physical body bursting with sensations, one that literally grounds us here to our Earth Mother, allowing our imaginations safety to roam freely between conscious and subconscious realms.
With the unified intent to create from a place of curiosity, openness, and willingness to explore anything and everything that arises in us, we will work/play integrating the various aspects that show up through paint, collage, and other mixed media.
The workshop is limited to 15 and costs $615 and includes:
- Three days of workshop with Katie and Orly (one full day with each and one shared day)
- Reception Thursday evening
- Three lunches
- Two dinners
- Limited accommodation is available at the Farm for an extra fee (full)
There are four beautiful adult bunk beds with a shared bath, two queen beds with private bathrooms and a shared common area located above the studio.
The owner of the Wacky Nut Farm has a great eye and her rooms show it.
As does the barn. Wait until you see the barn. Yes, I went a little crazy over the barn. Reservations for accommodations will be taken in order as they are made. For the bunk beds it will be $225 for three nights and for each of the two queen rooms with private baths, $255. A very limited breakfast will be provided.
- A blank journal (8x10) Gessoed white ahead of time if pages are too thin or smooth. Preferably not spiraled.
- A smaller used children book to be used as a second work journal (Sidekick)
- Acrylic paints, container for water, rag
- Paint brushes, very wide to very thin
- Matte or soft gel
- White gesso
- Black gesso
- Small bottle of Liquitex clear gesso
- Lyra Graphitkreide crayon (needs to be this brand)
- Fine point permanent black pens (sharpies, microns, etc.)
- White gell pen: Uni-ball Signo or Gelly Roll by Sakura
- 1 stick of medium vine charcoal
- 5 water soluble crayons in a palette you want to work in - such as Caran d-Ache Neocolor II brand
- Ephemera: personal images and scraps of paper, could be related to the theme as you understand it (fills a 1 gallon zip lock bag--not a rolling suitcase!)
- Heat gun (optional)
Bainbridge Island can be reached either by a 35 minute ferry from Seattle or by driving around on the peninsula over Agate Pass. There are a lot of B&Bs on the island if you prefer to make your own accommodations. Directions to the farm can be found here.
A nonrefundable payment (but transferable) is due upon registration. If needed, you can make a deposit of half the fee now with the rest due March 1. You can mail a check (preferred) or I can invoice you through PayPal.
This workshop is FULL, if you would like to add your name to the waitlist, please use the contact form below.
[contact-form][contact-field label='Name' type='name' required='1'/][contact-field label='Email' type='email' required='1'/][contact-field label='Website' type='url'/][contact-field label='Comment' type='textarea' required='1'/][/contact-form]